OpenBSD 5.6 as a headless vnc server

dettus

Bicycle User
since i was unable to find this anywhere on the interwebs, i thought i'd just leave this here...

so... the thing is... i switched back from FreeBSD to OpenBSD on my number cruncher. because: why not?
since that machine (12 cores, 24gig ram, 3tb harddrive) was a bit too loud for my living room, i moved it back to the "server room" a couple of months back. i got used to working with it via xrdp.
needless to say, when i migrated back to my favourite operating system (sorry freebsd! personal preference) i was not able to install xrdp from the ports anymore. who cares, right?

so, what i did was installing x11vnc together with xdm authentication and an Xvfb server. it works like a charm.

-----------------
i am not sure how important that is, but i installed ALL the packages during the installation phase.

so, on my new openbsd box, i installed x11vnc, which was straightforward:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/x11/x11vnc/
# make

after a bit of reading, i figured out that x11vnc needs xdm for authentifcation purposes. so i added

Code:
xdm=""
to rc.conf.

this caused some trouble since i did not want to use my crappy old graphic card anymore. so i edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
i changed it so that it looked like this:

Code:
# :0 local /usr/X11RR6/bin/X :0 vt05
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb -screen 0 1024x768x24
you guessed it, 1024x768x24 is the resultion. and 24 bit color depth.

at this point, i REBOOTED my OpenBSD box. just in case.

------------
after the reboot, i checked to see if xdm was working:
Code:
# ps auxww | grep xdm
root  24969  0.0  0.0  880  1912 ??  Is  11:55PM  0:00.04 /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
root  28665  0.0  0.1 20728 23976 ??  Ss  11:55PM  0:03.34 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb -screen 0 1024x768x24 -auth /etc/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/A:0-tEzsZf
niiice.

so all that was left was running the x11vnc server.
i set up a password
Code:
# vncpasswd

and ran the x11vnc server
Code:
# x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth /etc/X11/xdm/authdir/authfiles/* -usepw

i tried connecting from a linux box
Code:
% vncviewer kaffeekanne:0
and i saw the familiar openbsd login.

pretty simple once you got round to it!

keywords: OpenBSD vnc headless no graphic card xvfb xdm x11vnc ssvnc tightvnc xrdp rdesktop virtual server xorg.conf

OpenBSD? Numbercrunching? Hab ich was verpasst und die haben über Nacht brauchbares SMP gezaubert?

@ime: ich habs einfach mal auf englisch geschrieben weil das vielleicht noch mehr leute interessieren koennte. ;)
@TCM: och, fuer meine zwecke reicht das aus. ;) wenn ich WIRKLICH number crunchen machen moechte, dann wuerde ich eh ein linux installieren und mich in opencl bzw. cuda schlaulesen.

Zurück
Oben