neulinge for unix

C

chlnx

'schuldigt dass ich euch stoeren muss, ich kann nicht sehr gut deutsch. ich bin hier eigentlich seit langem untertaucht und nun will ich mal auftauchen weil ich endlich entschieden bin freebsd yu installieren. ich habe frueher the unix system gelernt fuer eine lange zeit aber nicht praktikum, also learned bloss vom buch.
so ich habe angst dass ich bei der ersten installation schief gehe, also die frage ist, ob man bsd ja auch in einer portable festplatte install kann, such that immer wenn ich die port. festplatte benutze that means mit meinem laptop verbinde, fuehre ich in bsd und wenn nicht, also in original system.
thanks a lot!

http://www.freesbie.org/?section=ISO-en
http://tzone.freesbie.org/iso/0.6d/FreeSBIE-0.6d.iso.bz2

sorry but i dont exactly know the possibilities of an *BSD system on
portable mass-storage devices....
but maybe these links above could help you. It is a project that aims at providing a solution for an easy creation of a FreeBSD live System. These kind of Systems are like the well known Knoppix Distribution. The whole OS is loaded from a bootable CD and behaves like a normal system. The original installed System on HDD won't be touched or changed unless you wish to.

Ich weiss leider nicht ob es möglich ist auf einem transportierbaren Speicher/Festplatte ein BSD zu installieren...
aber vielleicht können dir die links oben helfen. Es ist ein Projekt welches eine Lösung anbieten möchte, einfach ein FreeBSD live System zu bauen. Solche systeme sind so ähnlich wie das bekannte Knoppix. Das gesamte OS lädt von einer CD und verhält sich wie ein normales System. Das original installierte System auf der Festplatte wird nicht verändert, solange man es nicht möchte.

Oh, it's great, it's grossartig. Thanks so much! But I'd try to install it onto a portable, trotydem. Danke.

I just tried to install FreeBSD 4.8 and 5.1 to my USB Disk.
But without success, i will explain why:
I belive that the Kernel of the official Installation CDs does not load the usb mass-storage modules. The Controller can be seen on the Display, but a "BBB Time Out" error apears. The installation menu only offers the internal Harddisks.
So the modules are the first Problem.

Mayby it is possible to format the disk in a proper way and copy a "designed" FreeBSD to the disk, which loads the needed drivers/modules. Or the boot-Kernel of the official CD has to be recompiled with your needs. I am no expert, I only imagine some things....sorry.
Though the BIOS of the Laptop has to support an Setting like "boot other devices" . If only Floppy/HDD/CD-ROM are shown you will have no chance.

Or would it be possibe to boot from a compact-flash card ?
These cards behave like IDE Devices to the BIOS and don't need any special drivers for booting, as far as i know.

Zurück
Oben