USB-WLAN-stick and a router using WPA-PSK

as02011961

Hello,
I tried the hints regarding WPA to the instructions in the FreeBSD Handbook. After endless unsuccessful trying and trying I was neither able to use my USB-WLAN-stick nor to configure my little home network correctly. Perhaps because of a lack of understanding what really is to be done.

Now, in detail:

1. My DSL Router:
I use an AVM FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN-Router. My SSID is "XXXXXXWLAN", I use the channel 6, and for encryption I use WPA-PSK with the key "XXXXXXXX". The router is set to the address 192.168.178.1 by default.

2. My PC-Desktop
Some old PC with Celeron 400 MHz, and 392 MB RAM. For the reason to have a wireless network I use the USB-WLAN-stick DWL-G122, rev. B1 (D-Link) at a static IP adress 192.168.178.19.

After booting my PC with PCBSD (Windows 98SE is on another partition of my harddisk only for the reason to have a WLAN WPA-PSK-encrypted connection to the Internet) I find the USB-stick correctly detected as ural0. So far so good. The configuration with the network configuration tool of PCBSD failed because there is only given the possibility of WEP-encryption. I think there has to be done some handwork.

If anyone could tell me what to do step by step to have a usable USB-WLAN-stick at boottime I would be very happy. I am not good enough in configuring wpa_supplicant and all necessary boot scripts for myself to have a well structured network configuration.

Perhaps there is the possibility to load a complete configuration file at bootime consisting of all above mentioned personal network parameters. But how should the content of such a configuration file look like and where to put it?

Please help me asap. Perhaps my next post in this forum will be done via PCBSD.

Thanks for understanding a hard working but not yet successful being new BSD member.

Andreas

Zurück
Oben